Devise does have the capability to override the default controllers (there
is an example of this in the Devise readme.) One approach would be to
override the controller that handles the password email notifications with
your own customized controller. In your new controller, it should be
simple to check the user activity state and set the destination email
address to the user or the admin as required.

I switched out a controller a while back to get some customized control,
and it was pretty straight forward, except for getting the routes right.
I'm not good with Rails routing so that took a while.

Don