I think to deploy the server side of a RESTful web service, the
built-in support in rails is pretty good. Support for building the
client side (ie. consuming a web service) is still not great. You can
try using activeResource which promises a similar model as activeRecord
but with a web service instead of a database as the back end.
Unfortunately, in my experience AResource (as of 3.0.9) falls short of
delivering on this promise so I have been writing my models on top of
HTTP/S.

I would love to hear back what other people are using to implementing a
consumer of a RESTful web service.

Adrian