Whenever just helps to use cron with simple ruby syntax.
To make it run cronjobs. You need to:
1. Exec in your project folder:
wheneverize .
This will create config/schedule.rb file.

2. There type some action needed to be done with cron:
every 3.hours do
rake "my:rake:task"
end

3. Save it and execute that
whenever --update-crontab
This will update crontab file.
You can ensure that crontab is written by
crontab -l

4. And final point restart cron
sudo services cron restart

Enjoy =)