On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM, JavierQQ wrote:

HI,
Hi

I want to grab some information about university names, and I found
this term called "web scraping"
I search about it in google, and there are tools in ruby.
One of them is nokogiri but I'm a bit confused because it seems that
it only gets information that its already in an html or xml

I found a webpage that have a list of university names as a

<select> </select> (html label)

and I want to grab that information

The question is... can I do that with nokogiri or another tool?
The list is like a country list, but with the names of the
universities of my country.

It seems that it get that information from an DB using ajax, and what
I'm trying to do may not be legal or possible

I'll really appreciate if someone can help me to understand what this
tool is used for, and if what I'm trying to do is possible

Thanks

Javier Q
Take a look on some screencasts:

http://railscasts.com/episodes?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=mechanize

http://railscasts.com/episodes/190-screen-scraping-with-nokogiri

http://www.engineyard.com/blog/2010/getting-started-with-nokogiri/

With nokogiri, you could use CSS3 selectors to grab the information you want

Best Regards,
Everaldo