On 29 Oct 2011, at 01:53, Everaldo Gomes wrote:

I like RVM, but after watching this Railscasts I saw that we have
another good alternatives:

http://railscasts.com/episodes/292-virtual-machines-with-vagrant
Vagrant is really nice, but I see it more as a solution to test your
production environment locally than to manage gems or ruby versions.

Those VM images can be quite big, but are great to use as a staging
server to make sure your production server will be able to run your
Rails app (or an update) without any problems. Setting up your
production environment on a virtual machine (a staging server if you
want to call it that way) is great, especially combined with Chef. You
can be fairly certain that your production server won't go down
because of some incompatibility or different/lacking dependencies
between your e.g. OS X machine and your Ubuntu production server.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt