On 25 Oct 2011, at 14:03, "Lukas M." wrote:

Hi,
i have a "place" model with 2 columns (id, name).
I'm calling an external api which gives me data to create a new place
object.

I would like to add the address from the external place to the place
object and render it as a json result, without storing it in the
database.

i don't get any errors, but the address never shows up within the json
output. i've tried with attr_accessor but that didn't work either.
foo.to_json(:methods => [:attr1, :attr2])
Maybe? (assuming that foo.attr1 returns one of your extra attributes)

Fred.

any hints?

thanks

place.rb

class Place < ActiveRecord::Base
attr_accessor: address
end

places_controller.rb

external_api_place_data = @client.find(place_id)
place = Place.new
place.name = place.name
place.id = place.id

//not showing up in the json result
place.address = external_api_place_data.address

places = []
places << place

respond_to do |format|
format.html # index.html.erb