I've been using Heroku for a while, and if you are doing a few small apps, I suggest setting up some CRON jobs to ping your server every 15 minutes or so… The non paid service will shut down your site when idle for a certain period of time… if you ping your site intermiddely, in theory it shouldn't shut down.

I found this important when showing working prototypes to clients, as I didn't want to pay to host until it was ready for production, but a 30 second lag when showing a client, wasn't going to cut it.

Let me know if this helps,

Jonny