http://www.sinatrarb.com/ -> If you're looking for a Hello World application
with Ruby (independent from Rails)

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Danaka Kahn
wrote:
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM, -- -- wrote:

Hello Everyone,

first off - I'm NOT a programmer. I know HTML/CSS very well and PHP
quite well, yet not I'm in need of a more "active" language and I've
decided to go with Ruby.

Thing is, I've been able to find ton of tutorials, but NOT ONE answers
the most basic question - what exactly do I have to upload to the server
to simply get a (any) response from Ruby (through a browser, using a
regular shared webhosting).

The closest "answer" I could find was that unlike HTML/PHP, Ruby needs a
specific file structure (controllers, models, views) but still - neither
of the 30+ tutorials I've browsed through tells me:
- How many files exactly do I require for a simple "Hello World!"?
You should google for tutorials on installing ruby and rails on your
computer and then how to create a rails project via the console using the
'rails new' command. This command creates an app structure and then probably
such a tutorial will show you how to render a page, or better, show you how
to create a simple CRUD model.

So your steps are:
1) Install ruby and rails locally
2) Genearate a project: 'rails new myproject'
3) Create some content
4) Deploy somewhere. I recommend you use Heroku as it will be the simplest
way for you to get something on the web.

- What extensions should these files have?
- Where to put which files?
- What the hell should these files contain?

Now, I can "play" with Ruby via the command line locally and I can just
create an .rb file and run it from there, but that's not the point, I
want it to show online via a browser and as ridiculous as it sounds - I
don't know how to do that?

Add. infos:
- I'm trying to run it on a cheap shared web-hosting (Linux server).
- Ruby on Rails + gems are installed there, can access them via the
cPanel.
- I've created a test-app through the cPanel - with success.
- I've created a rewrite
- I can access the subdomain via my browser and I'll see the "Welcome
aboard" start page.

What now?

I just can't continue to learn the language via simple out-of-context
examples via the command line while I have no idea where to upload which
files to make it really function on-line :(

Please help.