On Sep 22, 2011, at 1:26 PM, David A. wrote:

Walter Davis wrote in post #1023269:
On Sep 21, 2011, at 5:10 PM, David A. wrote:

I'm trying to move my application from Rails 2.3.5 to Rails 3.1 which is
a challenge.

In my application,
require 'zip/zip'
fails with 'no such file to load -- zip/zip
Take this require out of wherever you're putting it now, and put this
line in Gemfile:

gem 'rubyzip', :require => 'zip/zip'

Walter
Thank you so much for your help - this did it.

Is there any documentation on why this is needed and the regular require
in the controller doesn't work? What if I wanted to run this just as a
Ruby app?
If you're not running in a bundler environment, then certainly you can simply do this:

require 'rubygems'
require 'zip/zip'

and you'll be good to go. But inside an application that is running bundler, I have found that it's much better to stay with one approach -- do it the bundler way -- and let it sort out the dependencies and load order and everything else. Fewer moving parts that way.

Walter