On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 6:05:27 PM UTC-5, Ellison Marks wrote:
No, the environment variable is set in the puppet.conf of every host. I'm
not even sure what the effect would be of trying to define environment in
hiera.

Please see:
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/environments_assigning.html
OK...that just made my head hurt a bit more. :-)

So that link says that I can do what I am after with an ENC (which that
page doesn't tell you what that means...).
"When writing an ENC, simply ensure that the environment: key is set in the
YAML output that the ENC returns. See the documentation on writing ENCs for
details.
<https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/external_nodes.html#environment>"

That link takes you here:
https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/external_nodes.html#environment

That gives an example of a hiera file. Plus it says " In Puppet 3 and
later, this will become the only environment used by the node in its
requests for catalogs and files." So if that is the only way things will
happen in the future, I should probably do it this way. Things are looking
good right? Except that documentation is not quite complete...I have read
it like three times and I am still not sure how I am supposed to set that
up to get it working...

Let me poke at it for a while and see what happens.

Thanks!