On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 11:33:29 AM UTC-5, Felix.Frank wrote:
On 07/21/2015 04:14 PM, jcbollinger wrote:

2)
I read in the changelog that the older clients should work with the
backward compatibility, but is it worth even trying? Or should I just push
out the updated puppet client wherever I can before adding the server into
my new build? (not hard to do in my environment)

It's worth trying if upgrading the clients when you upgrade the master
would present a challenge. Even if you plan to update everything in one
fell swoop, it may be to your advantage to rely on the newer master serving
older clients at least for the duration of the upgrade.

Hi,

I don't think that Puppet 3 agents can work with the Puppet 4 master.
There were incompatible changes to the catalog format.

A Puppet 4 upgrade needs to encompass your whole infrastructure. As such,
I'd advise to try and not throw it in with other changes.
Thanks for the advice. I am going to test for a bit on 4 and if all is
well, I will update my whole infrastructure in groups upgrading the client
as I go. Fingers crossed the old puppet master server hangs on that long!
:-)