Simon,

Think of the Puppetfile like a Puppet manifest... It is a desired
end-state declaration... You don't just run r10k to update a single
module, you run the deploy environment to deploy that environment to
make it match what the Puppetfile specifies. In this case an r10k
environment is a branch from the control repository that you r10k config
points to.