Just so that the code is out there and my point made.

$ cat hieradata/hosts/puppet.test.vm.yaml
---
repos::reponetwork: one
repos::testvar: repotestvar
testhiera::test: blah
testhiera::testvar: testhieratestvar

$ cat modules/testhiera/manifests/init.pp
class testhiera ( $testvar = $testhiera::testvar ) {
#class testhiera ( $test = $testhiera::test ) {
   notify { "$testvar on $clientcert":}
}

$ puppet agent -t
Info: Retrieving pluginfacts
Info: Retrieving plugin
Info: Loading facts
Info: Caching catalog for puppet.test.vm
Info: Applying configuration version '1412825217'
Notice: 2 testhieratestvar on puppet.test.vm
Notice: /Stage[main]/Testhiera/Notify[testhieratestvar on
puppet.test.vm]/message: defined 'message' as '2 testhieratestvar on
puppet.test.vm'
Notice: on puppet.test.vm
Notice: /Stage[main]/Repos/Notify[ on puppet.test.vm ]/message: defined
'message' as ' on puppet.test.vm '
Notice: Finished catalog run in 0.04 seconds

Testhiera works, Repos doesn't.

Here is another interesting tidbit....If I pull that notify into a subclass
of testhiera....it too stops working.... Ugh...I think it is time for me to
go to sleep...this obviously isn't sinking in...