This particular hiera backend, from what I understand, is extracting
values from puppetdb "on the fly", so you don't have to put any values
in hiera yaml/json files save for a relevant puppetdb query. This
would centralize data gathering and localize it to a "data component".
Otherwise you end up with puppetdb queries within your manifests which
could be not what you want. Then again, this really depends on your
preferences. Good luck and tell us if this worked for you.

Regards,
Daniel