http://puppetlabs.com/services/certification has a pretty solid list
of pre-cert study materials but, yes, the more hands-on experience you
have with Puppet/PE the better.

Of the self-study resources mentioned there, I highly recommend:

1) The Puppet Certification Practice Test
2) The Puppet Learning Management System videos
3) The Puppet Enterprise Learning VM

The training course are also awesome but then I'm biased as I'm a trainer. ;)

Also be aware that the content for the cert test was recently
refreshed. In my opinion, and I was among the people who worked on the
new version of the test, the new version is more challenging than the
old test. I would trust the Practice Test as a gauge over the word of
anyone who might have taken the previous version of the cert.

Good luck! If you pass don't post that fact to LinkedIn until you've
upped your mobile plan as the recruiters will set your phone on fire!
;)