Hiera allows multiple backends, YAML being one and also being the one
with which most people start, some of which can be non-static. If you
Google for Craig Dunn's blog you'll see an example where he uses a
backend which enables Hiera data retrieval from a CouchDB backend.
That particular example is one of my favorites examples of the
flexibility of Hiera.

As to how to get CF data into Puppet, I've not used CF enough to
venture a solid guess but the first thing I would do is look to see if
someone has a Forge module which presents user data as facter
variables. In the case of AWS/EC2 facts this is done, if memory
serves, via a Type and Provider that queries the 169.x node metadata
service embedded in AWS/EC2.

Feel free to let me know how that goes via direct email. I rarely have
time to keep up with the mailing list.

Cheers.