I debugged this same 400 error with 'getcwd' in my 2.7.18 version of
puppet. I did not find useful information through web searches, so posted
my debugging steps here: http://jaroker.com/?p=2036

In my case, the puppet master had been operating normally for over a year.
I had recently updated my Eclipse IDE and created new manifests. The IDE
used non UTF-8 encoding on these new files. Subsequent puppet runs on
various nodes produced this 400-getcwd error: "puppet: Could not retrieve
catalog from remote server Error 400 on SERVER “Could not parse for
environment...” getcwd"

In my case, the solution was to identify DOS-encoded files on the master
and convert them to unix.

Jon