Yes it might be tricky to integrate it but I think this would be a useful
enhancement.
On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 7:38:46 AM UTC-5, Luke Bigum wrote:

It should be theoretically possible. The mysql-server package owns
/var/lib/mysql, but it is the mysql_install_db script that sets up an empty
database in $datadir when the service starts if $datadir is empty. If you
update your config file before you start the mysql server, you should be
able to point it at any datadir you like. It will leave an empty directory
at /var/lib/mysql, but hopefully you are ok with that as it's owned by an
RPM.

I had a quick look at the module, /var/lib/mysql is hard coded in a lot of
places and you'd have to override / set most of them as well as in my.cnf:

$ grep -R '/var/lib/mysql' *
manifests/params.pp: $datadir = '/var/lib/mysql'
manifests/params.pp: $socket =
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'
manifests/params.pp: $datadir = '/var/lib/mysql'
manifests/params.pp: /(SLES|SLED)/ =>
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock',
manifests/params.pp: /(SLES|SLED)/ =>
'/var/lib/mysql/mysqld.pid',