No it didn't work and see other replies with additional details thanks to
the others that have provided more details regarding the problem.

If I'm able to figure out a fix I'll certainly submit a pull request to
resolve the issue.

What I had done was on RHEL 6.4 deploy an /etc/my.cnf containing datadir =
/data/mysql but when puppet tries to start the mysql service it fails.

I'm writing a manifest to see if I can perform an exec of mysql_install_db
along with proper dependencies to get a fresh database configured that
doesn't point to /var/lib/mysql for it's datadir.

If I get that to work than I'll work on incorporating it into the
puppetlabs-mysql forge module.

My initial message was just to first check if somebody else had solved this
problem already... I'll submit an issue on github later so other users of
the module are aware of a potential solution.