On Fri, 2013-11-22 at 11:43 -0800, Stuart Cracraft wrote:
Hi,

We do not want to have puppet changing things out from under us, then
looking at a log file after-the-fact. We are okay with running puppet agent
manually for the particular application we have chosen it for under our
control. With that framework in mind, please ponder the following question.

My question is: what is the method to disable puppet agent on a host
yet still permit a manual application of a pp file.

I.e. something like "modify your agent node's puppet.conf to have
xyz-whizbang" and keep your puppet agent running in the normal way
with /etc/init.d/puppet start and system boot using normal rc processes,
then when you run manually either use mcollective or manually do
a puppet apply xyz.pp on the box in question.
If you're only ever going to be using e.g. 'puppet agent --test' or
'puppet apply foo.pp' on the command line, then you don't need puppet
running as a daemon at all. Just stop the service, disable the init
script, and you're good to go.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@kepstin.ca>