Hi Jay,

You could simplify things a little using 'unless' which acts like the
reverse of 'if'. You'd place your resources within the unless block so that
they'd only be included in your catalog if your Fact or variable evaluated
to false.
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/lang_conditional.html#unless-statements

I suspect this isn't exactly what you're looking for I wanted to take this
opportunity to remind you that Puppet 3.2 introduced an experimental future
parser that makes it pretty simple to collect and iterate over things.
Maybe it'll help at some point down the road.
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/lang_experimental_3_2.html

Hope that helps,
--Ryan