Hello,

I am trying to extend my puppet installation by utilising hiera for dynamic
data for particular hosts. To that end, I'm testing hiera with the
puppetlabs ntp module. However, I am getting this error:

"Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
"false," is not an Array. It looks to be a String at
/etc/puppet/modules/ntp/manifests/init.pp:34 on node blah.blah", when I run
puppet agent --test --noop.

Init.pp is straight from puppetlabs.

I have a hiera.yaml file in the root of my puppet install (/etc/puppet)
hiera.yaml references my datadir as /etc/puppet/hieradata and the hierarchy
as common

Inside hieradata, I have a simple common.yaml file, and in that file I have:

---
testmsg : 'Tim was here'
ntp::restrict : false,
ntp::autoupdate : true,
ntp::enable : false,
ntp::servers : [
   "ntp.example.org iburst",
   "0.us.pool.ntp.org iburst",
   "1.us.pool.ntp.org iburst",
   "2.us.pool.ntp.org iburst"
   ]

I can test the hiera file with a "hiera -c /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml
ntp::enable and get "false," as a response.

Like I mentioned, I grabbed the puppetlabs module for testing. I used the
above hiera values for testing purposes. Yet, it's not working. My other
non-hiera modules are working, but are limited to the hardcoded values I
have in them. I'd like to be be able to pass specific values to specific
hosts for example, for a sudoers file, all hosts get base admins, but
specific hosts get different admins...

Anyways, I am pretty new to hiera, so any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Tim