On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:44:14 AM UTC-5, David Thompson wrote:

The puppet nagios collector:

if $nagios_server {
Nagios_host <<||>>
}
And you're certain that $nagios_server evaluates to true on the machines
that nevertheless fail to get the expected Nagios_host resources applied?
You could probe that by changing the above to

if $nagios_server {
   Nagios_host <<| |>>
   notify { 'I am a nagios server': }
} else {
   notify { 'I am not a nagios server': }
}

That will also help you catch the case that the class containing the above
is not included in the catalog at all, for then you would see neither the
Notify message in the agent log. You can also watch your query log for the
query by which Puppet retrieves all the wanted Nagios_host resources; if
nothing else is fruitful then the details of the query might reveal some
useful information.

The query I'm using:

curl -G 'http://localhost:8080/v3/resources' --data-urlencode
'query=["=", "type", "Nagios_host"]'

(I tried updating to the latest-and-greatest puppetdb yesteday. No
change. I get the same from the v2 URI.)
For what it's worth, it looks like you could simplify that to just

curl -G 'http://localhost:8080/v3/resources/Nagios_host'

though I don't expect using that form will change anything. I'm more
interested, though, in the back end. That is, is puppetdb for some reason
failing to serve up resources that are in fact recorded in the back-end DB,
or are the resources either not making it to the DB in the first place, or
are they being purged from the DB between being entered and being queried?

You said earlier that some nagios hosts are getting configured, at least on
some machines, but I didn't completely understand which hosts are getting
configured on which machines. Are there machines that get all the expected
hosts? Are there nagios_hosts that get configured on all machines? More
generally, what is the nature of the correlation (that you have recognized)
between declared nagios host resources and the machines on which puppet
manages those resources?

John