What is the best way to manage multiple stanza within a config file?

For a splunk configuration file (inputs.conf) I need to manage some thing
like

[monitor://var/log]
blacklist = someRegularExpression
whitelist = someOtherRegularExpression

[monitor://var/lib/ourApp]

There can be multiple monitor stanzas and each may or may not have a
whitelist or blacklist.

I haven't found any thing on the forge or in this group regarding best
practice for managing stanzas within a config file.

I've tried a few different combinations of templates, concat and define and
haven't found a clean solution yet to construct the stanza.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks! Thomas