On Friday, August 9, 2013 9:22:54 PM UTC+2, Jakov Sosic wrote:
On 08/08/2013 09:10 PM, Alessandro Franceschi wrote:
natural to use two different parameters, like service_ensure and
service_enable rather than one like service_status.
Oh, I see. Simpler from the user perspective but more costly from
performance perspective...

there has been some concern about the amount of parameters or the need
of some of them, but I think it makes sense to give standard names for
different possible cases, even if you don't necessarily need to use
them.

Yeah, that interested me too... Imagine having like 20 modules like this
one included in a node manifest... Wouldn't the compile time explode
because of all the extra hiera lookups?! :-/
For sure the number of parameters has some impact , as the number of
resources managed by the module.
Some Puppet performance experts ( Brice, are you reading :-? ) can surely
give better ideas of the impact of them when used on scale.

I think it makes sense to make modules that provide some minimal, most
common, reusability parameters and have the occasion to add features and
parameters with predictable names and functions.
This would ease the progressive refinement of a module keeping a standard
layout.

Really, we should provide and explore more examples, with different layouts
for different modules structures, and see how this kind of parameters fit.

my2c

--
Jakov Sosic
www.srce.unizg.hr