On 01/15/2013 04:04 PM, Drew Fisher wrote:
I'm working on a new provider for puppet 3.x and Solaris 11's dladm
command. One of the subcommands is set-linkprop which is used to set
various properties for networking links. The problem is there are
dozens and dozens of properties that can be set depending on the type of
link (physical or virtual) or what type of physical card is slotted on
the system.

I've been looking through some of the existing providers and the only
thing that comes even remotely close is the ZFS provider. The problem
with that provider is the list of possible properties is a hard-coded
list. As stated above, I can't really do something like that.

How can I design this provider, especially the exists? function, to
handle a dynamic list of valid properties? I was thinking of setting
the type to handle a manifest like:

linkprop { /'linkname'/:
ensure => present,
properties => { propname1 => value1, propname2 => value2, .... },
}

The exists? function would need to keep track of each individual
propname to pass off to create for later use. I'm assuming it's not an
issue to keep a "processed" hash table, but is that the "right" way to
do it? Is there a better way?
Why would you manage link property as a new resource? Why not manage it
simply as property of a resource 'link'?

--
Jakov Sosic
www.srce.unizg.hr