On 01/08/2013 10:07 PM, mmcbride@spryinc.com wrote:

I know this isn't traditionally how puppet works, but I was
curious as to any trick that may accomplish something like this.
I'm afraid you answered your own question in the first part of the
sentence. It's not possible AFAIK.

And why would you want that in the first place? Can you provide code sample?

give a little context, I want to assign a variable a value that only
becomes existent after it is created by the execution of a particular
exec resource But when a manifest is applied, variables are checked
before resources are executed.
If you're talking about facts, they are gathered *before* manifest
compilation, so if you depend upon some fact value that is set only
after installation of some package, you have to run puppet twice to
bring your system to desired state.

And, again, can you provide code sample?

I apologize if this seems trivial to anyone.
No need to apologize. Problem is you are trying to use *declarative*
language as a procedural one. In most cases I've seen on this list, you
don't need to do that at first place. So please show us your real-world
problems and maybe someone can pinpoint solution for you.

--
Jakov Sosic
www.srce.unizg.hr