Shameless plug.
I wrote a module to do pretty much what you are trying to achieve.
http://forge.puppetlabs.com/rendhalver/monitoring
It currently works on CentOS and Fedora. Debian/Ubuntu support is in progress.
I also have a couple of other modules for managing nrpe and icinga
Feel free to have a look at the code on github for inspiration even if
you don't install it.

Pete.