* The ports that all nodes share in common I am adding to the
modules/my_firewall/manifests/init.pp file, but the ports that are specific
to a node I am adding to the node definition in manifests/site.pp. What
should I do to prevent the firewall rules from becoming unwieldy in my
site.pp file? It is fine if there are only a few ports open, but once I
start adding a lot of ports to the nodes it gets rather big. Any
suggestions, or is it common to have rather large node definitions?
You can of course provide a list of dport/sport's as an array -
however I normally associate a firewall port being opened with a
particular class/app and have the firewall definition defined there,
then by including the class you get the open port. For example, my
mysql module would open port 3306.
* The documentation says that the number should be between 000..999.
However, I made my post.pp deny rule as 99999 so that I could make the
number the port (makes sense to me and help track which port is for what
purpose; I made it that high because one app has port 27000). The vast
majority of the time I don't care what order the ports are in, just so long
as they appear between the pre and post section. It also helps me remember
which number the rule should be so I don't have duplicate ID numbers. Does
anyone else label the ID this way? Is there a problem with making this ID so
large when the documentation lists the max number as 999 (I am guessing it
was just a large number the author picked at random and not one with
significant meaning, but I am curious)?
Yeah, it was made up - or at least, it was an old range that was
changed later on.
Also, a semi-related question since I am posting the configs...Did I do it
right? :-D It works for my test cases so far. Mostly just want to check to
make sure I didn't misunderstand the documentation. So if I missed something
or if I goofed something up, I would appreciate a response.
Looks fine to me.

ken.