In resolving bug 15980, the pip package provider was changed to recognize
the RedHat osfamily fact and use the executable name "pip-python" in those
environments. This does not take into account environments where pip has
been installed via easy_install or by custom rpm providers. In those
environments (such as mine) this osfamily change breaks the pip provider,
requiring as a workaround that the administrator create a softlink to
pip-python before any pip packages are referenced.

It seems to me that the change could have been accomplished by trying the
pip-python alias if the normal exe name failed, rather than assuming that
the weird way that one common RPM names pip is a global circumstance.

Obviously I already discovered the workaround and the problem, so I suppose
I'm just posting this in the hopes that it shows up in a Google search for
the next guy. Thanks.