On 31 May 2013 01:02, przemol wrote:

Hello,

we have been using puppet 3 with hiera based config and several (usually
"typical") environments:
test
predev
dev
preprod
prod
Basically we apply the puppet config to test, then predev, then dev, etc
But within each environment we have quite a large number of hosts
(20/50/100/300/...).
We would like to "group" them into sort of subgroups. For example "dev"
hosts
are for developers from different applications teams: app1, app2, app3,
appN.
If you have that many nodes I would suggest an ENC like Foreman and use
host groups to include the classes you want for each group.
Foreman also talks to puppetdb to get facts and the like and you can send
puppet reports to it which will also be handy for that many nodes.
Using an enc also gives you a centralised way of managing which host group
or environment a node uses.
In fact if you use a ENC it ignores the environment setting on the node and
only uses the one set in the enc.

We need to create accounts (user accounts are just an example - there are
other similar tasks) on all servers from dev environments:
user accounts for dev team app1 don't need to be on all dev servers - just
on the following nodes: node10 - node20
user accounts for dev team app2 should be just on the following nodes:
node35 - node88
Also given the number of nodes you have I would also suggest some form of
centralised user management like FreeIPA, LDAP or AD.
Then you can define the access rights you want for each use or use group.

(if you are tricky you can also use LDAP as an ENC but that may be an
exercise for the future.)

etc
(and I can't use any regular expressions to select nodes - the same
servers in each group could have quite different FQDN)
Can you recommend what puppet/hiera feature could I use to group servers ?
It would be good if I could use it just on central puppet master server
and not need to login to every node
and assign it locally to a group.

Regards