Hello,

we have been using puppet 3 with hiera based config and several (usually
"typical") environments:
test
predev
dev
preprod
prod
Basically we apply the puppet config to test, then predev, then dev, etc
But within each environment we have quite a large number of hosts
(20/50/100/300/...).
We would like to "group" them into sort of subgroups. For example "dev"
hosts
are for developers from different applications teams: app1, app2, app3,
appN.
We need to create accounts (user accounts are just an example - there are
other similar tasks) on all servers from dev environments:
user accounts for dev team app1 don't need to be on all dev servers - just
on the following nodes: node10 - node20
user accounts for dev team app2 should be just on the following nodes:
node35 - node88
etc
(and I can't use any regular expressions to select nodes - the same servers
in each group could have quite different FQDN)
Can you recommend what puppet/hiera feature could I use to group servers ?
It would be good if I could use it just on central puppet master server and
not need to login to every node
and assign it locally to a group.

Regards