Hi Everybody,

So I'm working on a workstation_policies module that will basically set a
ton of gconf keys.

I think I have everything figured out except for a clean way to throw a
long legal banner into an exec for gconf.

This should give an idea of what I thought would work per my interpretation
of the exec resource type docs:
(Using single quotes in variable to preserve line breaks, using double
quotes in the exec so that the variable is interpreted, etc)

class workstation_policies() {

   $legal_banner =
'======================================================================

     THIS SYSTEM IS OPERATED FOR AUTHORIZED USERS ONLY

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod
tempor incididunt
ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud
exercitation ullamco
laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in
reprehenderit in
voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint
occaecat cupidatat
non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

======================================================================'

# Turn on and enforce the contents of the GDM legal banner.
   exec { 'gconftool-2 --set --type=boolean
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_enable true':
     cwd => '/var/lib/puppet',
     path => ['/bin', '/usr/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/sbin'],
     unless => 'gconftool-2 --get
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_enable | grep true',
     user => 'gdm'
   }

   exec { "gconftool-2 --set --type=string
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_text "$legal_banner"":
     cwd => '/var/lib/puppet',
     path => ['/usr/bin'],
     unless => 'gconftool-2 --get
/apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_text | grep AUTHORIZED',
     user => 'gdm'
   }

As it is now, I'll get a catalog compilation error like the one below:

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Syntax error at 'legal_banner'; expected '}' at
/etc/puppet/modules/beta/workstation_policies/manifests/init.pp:65 on node
foo