Hi Gabriel,

first of all thanks for your comment much appreciated.

Take a look to the example I wrote, I know writing the version in ensure
puppet will do that...but let's imagine someone puts a new version of one
of our services in the repository and another someone comes and makes the
mistake of upgrading without noticing that new version, the service will be
restarted twice ... for the upgrade and next time puppet will run, also
notice we're not running puppet agent in daemon mode so either a human or
Nagios will have to find out about the upgrade. We would like to avoid this
kind of situations.

About the preferences file, I also know...that's what we are currently
doing and also would like to get rid of them, less files to maintain, less
work when upgrading things and less chances of forgetting them :-)

We think holding the packages is the right option for us.

Thanks!
sjr