On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:29:14 AM UTC-5, Dick Davies wrote:
Hi,

starting to use hiera in earnest now (still on puppet 2.6 but planning an
upgrade to 3.x this summer).

the heirarchy looks for fqdn, then network_eth0, then 'default'.

Some of our subnets don't want to set http_proxy environment variables,
the rest do.

so default.json has a 'http_proxy_url' key in it, but I want to exclude it
for 10.9.8.7.

Is there a 'special' hiera value I can set in 10.9.8.7.json to stop the
search falling down into default.json ?

Yes, and no. ANY value you set for that key in 10.9.8.7.json will prevent
the search from consulting the next hierarchy level. But it will cause the
lookup to return the given value. As far as I know, there is no value that
represents "no value".

At the minute we've set an empty string, but then templates etc. need to
be littered with

if ($url_from_hiera != "") {
do_stuff()
}

which feels like the sort of 'magic variable' that will bite future me in
the ass in around 6 months.
So, what do you envision hiera returning instead? undef? How would that
make things better for you? Wouldn't you still need similar conditional
logic in all the same places?

I don't see the magic variable problem in this case, in that the empty
string is actually a pretty good representation of the meaning you want to
convey. You might even find that setting the http_proxy environment
variable to an empty string has the desired effect (of not trying to use a
proxy), though that's speculative on my part. If that did work then the
empty string wouldn't be magic at all.

John