On Monday, May 13, 2013 4:39:44 PM UTC-5, Ashley Penney wrote:

If you load up the init.pp from this module you'll notice that after the
"class squid" declaration there's no parameters listed for the class. This
is because this is a "old style" module at this point and is just setting
variables directly in params.pp. You would be best off looking for a
better squid module while you get up to speed on Puppet.
By no means does parameterization inherently make a class better, though it
does affect how you can use it. With Puppet 3, I'd generally rate class
parameterization itself as neutral, but there are some scenarios in which
it actually constitutes a loss (see, for example, the recent thread about
hiera-gpg).

With that said, I agree that the particular example42 module in question
has some issues. I cannot recommend it (but not on account of being
unparameterized). For the record, however, the way you would customize it
for a given site would be to edit its "params.pp" file.

John