On 15 May 2013 15:24, jcbollinger wrote:
On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:29:14 AM UTC-5, Dick Davies wrote:

At the minute we've set an empty string, but then templates etc. need to
be littered with

if ($url_from_hiera != "") {
do_stuff()
}

which feels like the sort of 'magic variable' that will bite future me in
the ass in around 6 months.
So, what do you envision hiera returning instead? undef? How would that
make things better for you? Wouldn't you still need similar conditional
logic in all the same places?
I can get a bit closer to the ideal if I set the value as : false
- then the templates look like this (the $yum_proxy_url gets unpacked out
of hiera
up in the module):

<%- if yum_proxy_url != false %>
# use proxy
proxy=<%=yum_proxy_url %>
<% end -%>

which is a bit more readable. Not really clear why the : != false part is
required, but
feels cleaner to me.

And no, annoyingly

proxy=

breaks yum :)

I don't see the magic variable problem in this case, in that the empty
string is actually a pretty good representation of the meaning you want to
convey. You might even find that setting the http_proxy environment
variable to an empty string has the desired effect (of not trying to use a
proxy), though that's speculative on my part. If that did work then the
empty string wouldn't be magic at all.