On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 10:45:19 AM UTC-5, Dick Davies wrote:
On 15 May 2013 15:24, jcbollinger <John.Bo...@stjude.org <javascript:>>wrote:
On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:29:14 AM UTC-5, Dick Davies wrote:

At the minute we've set an empty string, but then templates etc. need to
be littered with

if ($url_from_hiera != "") {
do_stuff()
}

which feels like the sort of 'magic variable' that will bite future me
in the ass in around 6 months.
So, what do you envision hiera returning instead? undef? How would that
make things better for you? Wouldn't you still need similar conditional
logic in all the same places?
I can get a bit closer to the ideal if I set the value as : false
- then the templates look like this (the $yum_proxy_url gets unpacked out
of hiera
up in the module):

<%- if yum_proxy_url != false %>
# use proxy
proxy=<%=yum_proxy_url %>
<% end -%>

which is a bit more readable. Not really clear why the : != false part is
required, but
feels cleaner to me.
In other words, yes, you do need all the same logic in all the same
places. In that case, your only real option is to choose the special value
you like best. Personally, I find the empty string very appropriate, and
whereas there could conceivably be a machine named "false", but there
cannot be one named "". Still, it's a matter of taste.

And no, annoyingly

proxy=

breaks yum :)
Bummer.