I am using example42s squid module
https://github.com/example42/puppet-modules/tree/master/squid, and trying
to define certain user variable at the puppet/manifest/nodes.pp level
This is the first module of their's I've tried, I've read over their
documentation and FAQ and for the life of me I can not figure this out. To
me their examples are VERY HIGH level and I'm _really_ new to puppet. I'm
sure I'm missing something fundamental but I'm just not seeing it. I've
also installed example42s 'common' module which is needed to make the type
of changes I'm talking about.

The following works fine:
node 'xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com' {
  include squid
}

AND

node 'xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com' {
      class { 'squid':
        squid_port => '3030',

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Invalid parameter squid_port at /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp:94 on node
xio99cdejump01.centric.com

node 'xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com' {
      include common # example42's common module
      class { 'squid':
      squid_port => ['3030',],

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Invalid parameter squid_port at /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp:94 on node
xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com

node 'xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com' {
      include common # example42's common module
      class { 'squid':
      squid::config::$squid_port => ['3030',],

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Could not parse for environment production: Syntax error at '{'; expected
'}' at /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp:92 on node xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com

node 'xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com' {
      include common # example42's common module
      class { 'squid':
      $squid_port => ['3030',],

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Could not parse for environment production: Syntax error at '{'; expected
'}' at /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp:92 on node xio99cdejump01.centric.com

node 'xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com' {
      include common # example42's common module
      include squid
      class { 'squid::params':
      squid_port => ['3030',],

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Duplicate declaration: Class[Squid::Params] is already declared; cannot
redeclare on node xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com

node 'xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com' {
      include common # example42's common module
      include squid
      class squid::params {
      squid_port => ['3030',],

Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Could not parse for environment production: Syntax error at '=>'; expected
'}' at /etc/puppet/manifests/nodes.pp:93 on node xio99cdetest1.mygroup.com