On Thu, 9 May 2013 13:58:45 -0700 (PDT) John Simpson wrote:

I've done the following, it ended up being a bit simpler for me when
I'm not sure what random services a new CentOS install has installed
and/or enabled...

define no_service ( ) {
service { "${name}" :
ensure => stopped ,
enable => false ,
status => "stat -t /etc/rc?.d/S??${name} > /dev/null 2>&1" ,

You can then declare individual service names, or lists of service
names, each of which will be disabled and shut down if the service is
enabled. If a particular service doesn't exist, the puppet agent does
nothing.

no_service { 'ip6tables' : }
no_service { [ 'nfslock' , 'portmap' , 'xyzzy' ] : }

The only caveat is, if a service is disabled (i.e. "chkconfig service
off") but the service is still running, the puppet agent won't stop
it. Of course, if you have a service which is normally off and you've
only enabled it to test something, this could be a good thing...
you should be able to just specify `hasstatus => false`. This way
puppet will check the process list in order to get the current status
and will not run the (absent) initscript to get the status.

-Stefan