On Friday, May 3, 2013 4:50:38 PM UTC+1, Martijn wrote:
Dear list,

When I bootstrap a new EC2 instance from a base Ubuntu 12.04 LTS image I
use cloud-init to install the puppet-agent via apt, write a minimal
puppet.conf and start puppet. Ubuntu 12.04 comes with puppet 2.7.*, and I'd
like to upgrade to the 3.* version from Puppetlabs' apt repo before
starting the run that configure the machine into a specific role.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to add the repo and only upgrade the
puppet agent, before starting the actual run with the upgraded version 3
agent. I could use cloud-init to do this before puppet starts, but I'd like
to keep the bootstrapping as simple as possible and manage things via
Puppet.

This must be a common task, so how do you do it?

Thanks, Martijn
Why not add the following lines into your cloud-config file?

apt_sources:
- source: "deb http://apt.puppetlabs.com $RELEASE main"
keyid: 4BD6EC30
filename: puppetlabs.list
packages:
- puppet

This is the config we use to install Puppet 3 at instance launch time.