On Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:40:01 AM UTC-5, Leonard Ehrenfried wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently learning puppet but I have come across something which I
can't figure out from the docs.

I have a rails app, which needs a few Ubuntu packages installed to work.
Some of those come from a PPA, which is a non-standard repository, which
needs to be added to the list of repos. I would like to automate this step,
too.

I have just one node where puppet needs to run, so I just have one file
which I execute with `puppet apply`. I'm not using a puppetmaster.

The pp file can be viewed here:
https://github.com/lenniboy/jcheld/blob/master/puppet/jcheld.pp

I have installed the puppetlabs-apt module and I can see that that was
successful like this:

$ puppet module list
/home/lenni/.puppet/modules
├── puppetlabs-apt (v1.1.0)
└── puppetlabs-stdlib (v4.0.2)

Now, when I run puppet I get the following error:

$ sudo puppet apply puppet/jcheld.pp
Error: Could not find class apt for
ip-10-59-51-209.eu-west-1.compute.internal on node
ip-10-59-51-209.eu-west-1.compute.internal
Error: Could not find class apt for
ip-10-59-51-209.eu-west-1.compute.internal on node
ip-10-59-51-209.eu-west-1.compute.internal

I think it is likely that I'm not understanding something fundamentally
about how modules are supposed to be used.
I think a key thing you have missed is that when you install a module by
hand, you are meant to remove the leading "<provider>-" segment of its
directory name. Use of such prefixes helps avoid accidentally clobbering
one module's contents with those of a distinct yet like-named module's, but
you cannot actually have two different modules with the same name installed
(and functional) at the same time.

John