On Monday, April 22, 2013 12:31:57 AM UTC+1, Shiva Narayanaswamy wrote:
My setup has an EC2 autoscaling group of clustered glassfish application
servers. Each glassfish instance will register itself with a DAS (Domain
Administration Server) to become a member of the cluster, and deregister
itself when it is killed. I was intending to orchestrate this via puppet
exported resources. However I am stuck with trying to figure out how to get
the DAS server to apply puppet configuration everytime an instance is born
in the autoscaling group.
I can schedule puppet to run on the DAS server every 30 minutes, but I
cant afford to wait 30 minutes. I would like to do this as soon as an
instance is provisioned. The only way I can think of doing this is using
mcollective. Am I overlooking something?

If I havent made myself very clear, please let me know, and I can try to
explain better.

Looking forward to some design patterns from some experienced gurus!

Thanks,
Shiva
You can set up an autoscaling group to post notification messages [1] to an
Amazon SNS topic, which can then be fed (via Amazon SQS) into some kind of
script to take action whenever it gets a notification of a new instance
appearing.

[1] http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2011/07/auto-scaling-notifications-recurrence-and-more-control.html