On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Dan White wrote:

Based on your description, I would suggest the following:

Let's take tomcat as a specific example.
Assumption: You have a tomcat module that can be configured with
parameters.

Here is the suggestion: Add a hostname level to your heirarchy

but if you have multiple tomcat servers (for example) then you have to
repeat data for each hostname which is exactly the wrong thing.

using a custom fact (I use "role" for essentially the same thing Tony wants
to use "application for) you can classify nodes without an ENC and without
repeating yourself.

My hierarchy is:
# cat /etc/puppet/hiera.yaml
---
:hierarchy:
- %{fqdn}
- %{role}
- %{group}
- %{osfamily}
- common
:backends:
- yaml
- puppet
:yaml:
:datadir: /etc/puppet/environments/%{environment}/data
:puppet:
:datasource: data

I do have fqdn, but that is always too specific, except maybe for testing.
"Role" is what the system does and "group" is who manages it, both of these
come form custom facts on the system in /etc/factor/facts.d (requires
puppetlabs_stdlib) so I can have multiple nodes (in some cases hundreds)
with the same role. Keying this off fqdn or cert name would me a nightmare

Picking the right hierarchy and the right level into to place data is a bit
of a black art, but crucial to having a manageable config. This has been
workable for me for the past 9 months or so, but not pretenses to
perfection...

-Jon

OK, so now for node hostx.example.org, you want this to be a tomcat
server. All you need do is put the appropriate parameters into
hostx.example.org.yaml

I am still a hiera n00b myself, so I am not totally sure exactly how to do
this, but I am working on it.

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)