On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Dan White wrote:

That looks great.

Another thing to consider: As of hiera 1.2.0, you have deep merge for
hashes.
You do not need to repeat parameters at every level !

That's good to know. We've been using hiera arrays to collect things like
classes and packages from multiple levels of the hierarchy, this lets me
keep a site.pp that is essentially:

node default {
hiera_include("classes")
}

and pull in all packages that are required (but not otherwise managed) with:

$basepackages = hiera_array('basepackages')
package { $basepackages:
ensure => latest,
require => Class['csail::apt::csailrepo'],
}

we use this for things like development tool and desktop applications that
we want installed but aren't otherwise manages (unlike services that
generally have their own module to handle all that). In both cases clsees
and packages can be defined at any level of the hierarchy and all that are
found are activated.

being able to merge hashes like that sounds interesting, though perhaps the
topic is starting to drift a bit....