You probably want to look at implementing a simple deployment pipeline
using Puppet environments and Git branches. Here's a URL for getting
started:

https://puppetlabs.com/blog/git-workflow-and-puppet-environments/

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM, ForumUser wrote:

Hi all,

I am new in puppet world so please excuse my lack of knowledge ...

I am going to use puppet to manage our hosts but because my lack of
knowledge whether I deploy configuration changes the right way
I would like to deploy them first on some hosts, then wait a few days,
then on another group of hosts, wait a few days etc.
So it would be good to group all nodes into groups - something like
(pseudo-code):

group pre-testing {
host02.domain
host-other.domain
<... 10 other hosts ...>
}

group testing {
host115.domain
host-other-10.domain
<... 50 other hosts ...>
}

group pre-production {
host-spare.domain
<... 35 other hosts ...>
}

group production {
host-main.domain
<... 135 other hosts ...>
}

and then apply the change on just "pre-testing", wait a few days, apply on
just "testing", wait a few days and then apply on "pre-production" etc.
(sort of deployment in stages).
I am not able to group nodes based on application running on it nor
hardware architecture - the environment is mixed
so I need to put this particular node to this particular group etc

How would you organise that approach in puppet ?

Thanks in advanced

---
Nathan Valentine - nathan@puppetlabs.com
Puppet Labs Professional Services
GV: 415.504.2173
Skype: nrvale0

*Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
http://bit.ly/pupconf13