Hi All,

I just ran into a frustrating Augeas problem, which I thought I'd share
with you all.

We run a cron every morning to fetch the latest RPMs (for the packages
we're interested in) from various places such as rpmforge, EPEL, etc.

This morning I tried to build a VM and it failed. What happened was that
last night, a new version of nagios-nrpe was downloaded so the VM that was
built had this latest version. The RPM includes nrpe.cfg which had a new
option added to it:

allow_bash_command_substitution=0

In the manifest, I have an augeas block to modify the allowed_hosts line in
the nrpe.cfg file. Puppet was failing giving a "Save failed" error message,
so I went in via augtool to see what's going on.

I noticed that it could not parse nrpe.cfg (i.e. ls /files/etc/nagios
returned nothing). I had the previous config file saved for NRPE somewhere,
so I diff'ed them and noticed the only new option is the option I mentioned
above. After removing this new option, augtool could parse the file again
and Puppet was happy.

After having a quick read of the nrpe.lns file inside augeas-libs, I
noticed it actually lists each of the options that it will recognise from
the config file, and evidently fails if it finds new options that it
doesn't recognise.

Anyway, it hit me that there is quite a big dependency between config files
and augeas lenses. A change in one config file can affect Augeas which
affects Puppet runs. Or is this just a poorly written lens?

- Gonzalo