On Mar 20, 2013, at 9:48 AM, Mason Turner wrote:

We had puppet turned off on a host for a few days, and when we turned it back on, we started seeing:

(/Stage[setup]/Foo::Filesystems/Filesystem[/dev/data_vg/foo_lv]/ensure) change from absent to present failed: Execution of 'mkfs.ext4 /dev/data_vg/foo_lv' returned 1: mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)#012/dev/data_vg/foo_lv is mounted; will not make a filesystem here!

It's mounted because there is already I filesystem! I had added another lv by hand, but we never messed with foo_lv. This module is working fine in our prod hosts and other dev host, so I'm not sure what is going on. I've tried to step through the puppet labs-lvm module to see how it determines if a filesystem is absent or present without any luck. Any pointers?
To answer my own question:

puppet is calling mount -f --guess-fstype PATH_TO_VOLUME

for whatever reason, my mount no longer takes '--guess-fstype'. same version as everywhere else, although different checksum. This'll be fun :/