I use the same small script to bootstrap puppet on any server whether
it's EC2 or not. It

1) sets the hostname
2) installs puppet
3) sets the puppet master in puppet.conf
4) runs puppet

I sign the cert and from that point on use an ENC (I like Foreman) to
add classes, set environments, parameters, etc.

btw, in Foreman 3 you can launch EC2 instances directly from Foreman
already configured. 1.1 is out now with full Puppet 3 support.
http://theforeman.org/manuals/1.1/index.html#Releasenotesfor1.1.1

Adam