I've never tried this, but it SHOULD be okay. Puppet is reasonably
standoffish about its interfaces, with everything going as yaml or json
over HTTP, and part of the goal of that was to eventually do exactly this.
We expect this setup to work, and if it doesn't it's a bug.

(That's also part of why it uses relatively slow json and yaml instead of
fast Marshall, is because Marshall had a bad habit of being incompatible
between Ruby versions.)